House of A Writer

Welcome to my blog where I share my special needs parenting journey with my heart, truth, and love, one story at a time. ❤️

Coziness Danish style

on 30 December 2016

December 29, 2016 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a cozy story. What is it to be cozy, to experience Danish hygge? It doesn’t need to be culture-specific, but it can be an interesting point of comparison or contrast. A character might long to feel cozy, or you might describe the perfect cozy scene. It may or may not include Prosecco.

She was chilled to the bone when she put her key in the lock. Her hand was shaking so badly she nearly dropped it. Finally she was inside and desperate for warmth. Hurriedly she got out of her coat and winter boots placing them carefully in the closet. Even though she was frozen to the core her OCD behaviours reared their impertinent head. The fire crackled and outside the wind roared against the window pane. She was safe, warm, and cozy sipping her tea she let out a sigh- hygge. She heard the laughter of her late Danish Grandma.

This is my contribution to the flash fiction challenge at Carrot Ranch hosted by Charli Mills. I loved getting the creative juices flowing through my fingertips. Yet I found it difficult to stop at 99 words. Nothing like some creative writing to smash up a block in the brain!

29 Responses to “Coziness Danish style ”

1. LydiaA1614 says:

Very cute story! Having OCD myself, I loved that part.

2. I’m chilled through just thinking about it 🙂 And I agree—stopping at 99 words is hard!

3. Michael says:

I did enjoy this take on the task….I did like how you referred to OCD as ‘impertinent’…so nicely done….

• jsackmom says:

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I had to put a little me into my fiction the struggle is real. ?

• Michael says:

I think there is always a little bit of ourselves in every piece we write….its what makes what we write so interesting to our readers….have a good new year, mine has arrived and its a bit cooler today…

• jsackmom says:

I agree I think it’s important to connect with a little bit of ourselves in our writing. My new year is a snowy one in Canada. ?

• Michael says:

Ah another Canadian. You know I haven’t met a bad one yet. In my world today is January 2nd and it’s raining after four days of intense heat….best wishes for your new year. ????

• jsackmom says:

We are a good lot of people even if I say so myself. Are you in Aus ,NZ, or SA? Snow makes me happy I still need to shovel my sidewalks but Netflix and a cozy couch call to me. ?

• Michael says:

Australia. I should be out on a walk but the rain is falling. Take it easy Netflix sounds a good idea.

• jsackmom says:

Oh I love the Aussie way of my life my favourite artist resides their and my niece did a stint of university there. Netflix is always a great idea, I see that you know another one of my favourites Linda J. Hill. ?

• Michael says:

Ah yes linda and I are old mates. I admire her greatly she does it tough at times. Who is the artist you admire?

• jsackmom says:

I adore Linda and I must reconnect with her again through her SOCS prompts. She’s a survivor and I admire her strength and determination. I love Arna Bartz she also has a blog called the Silver Poet. ?

• Michael says:

I will look your artist up. I have an artist son who is off to Miama Florida in a few weeks to do a mural. It’s all very exciting.
            You can look him up at : Lucas Grogan.com

• jsackmom says:

Oh that’s wonderful, I will for sure look him up. Arna is a treasure you can find her on her website http://www.kundalini.com. ?

• Michael says:

Yes I did look her up and I do like her work….most interesting that she is involved in so many projects….

• jsackmom says:

Oh that’s awesome you found her she’s incredible! As is your sons work I love his medium of using textiles and murals. ?

• Michael says:

I think some of her art would make for a great writing prompt. I run one each Thursday with a friend and I’m often looking for prompt ideas.

• jsackmom says:

Fantastic I own a few of her pieces and they always are conversation starters. ?

4. Charli Mills says:

The contrast of what’s going on outside to the safety of inside drives your flash. Then, I love the touch of the character connecting to a loved through that sip of tea. It envelops the idea of hygge as something passed down, too. So glad you joined us!

5. lucciagray says:

Loved the Danish grandma! Good take on OCD. Cozy means different things to different people. Happy New Year!

6. In an earlier comment Jane said that stopping at 99 words is hard, not only for the writer but the reader as well. I want to know more about the “she” of this flash. I want to see her OCD in action. Charli and her damn rules… Great flash. Look forward to more.

7. […] Coziness Danish Style by Jeanine Lebsack […]